Next of the vloggers is Karina of Lifting Pins and Needles. Her challenge was to take what she calls, “a boring old navy dress in ponte that I never wear” into something that fits her classic, chic, tailored, comfortable lifestyle. I’ll let Karina take over!
Spicing up a basic dress with color
I missed out on last year’s challenge due to an international move and lack of house and sewing machine!
This year Elizabeth changed it and we did not need to make dresses! we had to pick a dress that is not being worn and create two garments to take that dress from a day to a night look.
My day look: linen shirt refashion
My day look is a refashion from an oversized linen blouse with sleeves and huge pockets on the bust. It started out several sizes larger than me. I added shape with fisheye darts and extra contouring of the existing princess seams.
The insides are finished with bias tape for added detail. I don’t like wonky finishes on the inside, so I took the extra time to carefully trim the seam allowances so they were perfectly 5/8″. Then the bias had a good amount of seam allowance to wrap around. I added mitered slits on the fronts too. (Elizabeth here: what do miters not make more elegant?!!)
Now I have a piece that I love. I could be wearing this for years!
Night look: hacking Style Arc’s Megan Raglan tee
For the night look I created a pattern hack from the Megan raglan tee by Style Arc. This top is out of chiffon which is one of my favorite fabrics to work with. I left the back sleeve seam open and overlapped it with the back, uniting both pieces with bias tape.
Drawing a freehand line, the back part of the sleeve and back piece are scooped out a little, making for a more dramatic slit. The line is blended back towards the seam for a nice little overlap.
That’s it from Karina. Don’t miss Helena’s cool casual remix of the Named Inari dress. There’s lots of inspiration happening here today including my own colorful adventures with a blush ponte dress coral, olive, and lemon.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED IN THE DAY AND NIGHT DRESS CHALLENGE 2019?
- Find your lonely dress in your closet! Sew up 2 extra pieces to coordinate with your dress for a day look and a night look.
- Let other people know about it. Use #dayandnightdresschallenge on Twitter and Instagram and follow the Day and Night Dress Challenge Facebook group.
- Keep reading here to find out the latest. Follow Elizabeth Made This on Instagram andFacebook.
- Post a picture of your newly styled dress and extra pieces in your day look and your night look to Instagram to enter yourself. Don’t forget to tag me @elizabethmadethis and use the #dayandnightdresschallenge.
- Grab the graphic below and post it on your site and/or repost on Instagram: