It’s done!  #3 for the mini-wardrobe contest.  This is my mish mash combo of the Jalie Scarf top pattern and BWOF 08-2008-125.  I debated about whether to do inverted pleats or just plain pleats, and the plain won out for this iteration at least.  In actuality, I finished this minus hems like a week ago, but I didn’t want to shorten it until I checked the final length with my skirt since I’ll be wearing this tucked in (gasp!).

I chose this red violet rayon lycra jersey from JoAnn.  The quality I’m not confident about, but it’s a lovely color and I couldn’t find anything close at Denver Fabrics when I was looking for inspiration.  It just happens to be really close in color to the buttons on my jacket which is perfect to tie things together.  I got a glance at the bolt, and the color was labeled “beaujolais.”  Usually I’m not a wine-colored sort of girl, but this did match the buttons really well, and it’s growing on me.  I won’t, however be ousting my blues and aquas for it anytime soon.

Pattern Mish Mashed Pleated Panel knit top

What I learned:

1.  Pattern mish mashing is highly entertaining:  I’ve read about people mixing patterns for a while now, but I’ve never had the nerve to try it myself.  This was a good stretch for me to figure out how to make this thing work, and honestly, it wasn’t too hard.  The worst I had to lose was some icky knit fabric I use for testing knit patterns, so I went to town.  The probabilities of me doing more of this are high.

2.  Seam intersections are occasionally fussy: When I was in the muslin stage, I connected my seams on the front horizontally.  Because I lined the bodice when I got to the final stage, I connected things vertically.  I wouldn’t think this would make a difference, but my seam intersections at CF are not as perfect as I would like them to be.  Rather, it took several attempts to get them as close to perfect as I could get them.

3.  Put down the needle!:  I’m particular when it comes to pleating.  I like them to be free floating in space, but I like the control of having them being tacked down, and this top was no exception.  Usually when I use pleats as a design feature, I end up tacking them down by hand and lining them, as I did here instead of topstitching them into place.  I like the dimensionality, and I like that I can keep things invisible.  Unfortunately, the knit stretches (shocker) on my body, so what was invisible when I was pleating it in the flat, is not entirely so when on me.  This could’ve been resolved if I was pleating on a dress form, but Tina is in no shape for this kind of work.  I still like the look, but next time I will topstitch for the sake of variety.

2 Comments

  1. Pingback: The T-Shirt Project #10: picking knits for children | ~E Made This!

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

https://elizabethmadethis.com/privacy-policy/