Elizabeth’s Day and Night Dress Challenge came at just the right time! Both daughters were going through my closet and decided I needed to do some heavy-duty Marie Kondoing…that’s not an easy task when you’ve created so many things you really love.
Saving a favorite dress
I did come across this dress I made so long ago and had forgotten about. Since I love the fabric so much, I hung onto it and a few days later, Elizabeth asked me to post for this fun and yearly challenge. Disaster averted, no need to get rid of my dress!
This dress was made with McCall’s 7122 in a textured knit I purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics. I so love the color and texture!
For the nighttime challenge, I knew I wanted to make a black cardigan, but not just any cardigan would do. I needed options. This Abbi Cardi pattern from StyleArc fit the bill! You can tie it in the front or let it hang loose in the front. Obviously I am wearing it tied! With sandals and some sparkly jewelry, it goes easily to the evening and any event you might have.
Daytime look: Itch to Stitch Bellavista into an accessory
My daytime look was created with this fun knit I’ve had in my stash for quite a while. Luckily the colors match my dress perfectly! I wanted some sort of scarf-type accessory and for some reason my mind when to the Itch to Stitch Bellavista Top.
I only wanted to use the cowl. I really love that cowl! I cut two pieces just like the instructions tell you but I sewed the lower part of the cowl first, the upper or neckline piece second and then matched up the back center seam.
With right sides together, I sewed three-quarters around the edge and turned it all right side out. I next carefully sewed very close to the edge to close up the opening. With flat sandals and simple jewelry, this will be a go-to outfit for work, running errands, or a lunch date.
Thanks Elizabeth for helping me rescue a dress that needed saving!
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED IN THE DAY AND NIGHT DRESS CHALLENGE 2019?
- Find your lonely dress in your closet! Sew up 2 extra pieces to coordinate with your dress for a day look and a night look.
- Let other people know about it. Use #dayandnightdresschallenge on Twitter and Instagram and follow the Day and Night Dress Challenge Facebook group.
- Keep reading here to find out the latest. Follow Elizabeth Made This on Instagram andFacebook.
- Post a picture of your newly styled dress and extra pieces in your day look and your night look to Instagram to enter yourself. Don’t forget to tag me @elizabethmadethis and use the #dayandnightdresschallenge.
- Grab the graphic below and post it on your site and/or repost on Instagram: