I took on the challenge on the current project at Tie One On. Make a plaid apron. I studied an article in an old issue of Threads to gear my brain up for the task. I drafted a simple apron bodice and decided to fit it to the front skirt of Vogue 7735, which is just a basic 8 panel A-line skirt I had in my stash. On the pattern envelope, it of course said the pattern was “unsuitable for ….plaids…” Bah! I say! I folded up my seam allowances and carefully pinned and cut out each section of the skirt one at a time. Sure things aren’t on grain, but I figured…hey, it’s an apron…I can still use it, and the experience of matching stripes is more valuable than if it’s 100% on grain.
The pocket is from Colette Pattern’s Parfait that I did a while back. I like it in plaid.
All of that being said, I’m over my fear of stripes…it’s tedious to match them, but kind of fun…like a big ole puzzle. Sandra Betzina recommends using double stick tape instead of pins to hold things in place even more carefully when matching patterns. Methinks I shall try this next time.