I pinned this Boden top ages ago but set aside any plans for a copy because at the time I didn’t have any solid color knits on hand. I often overlook scraps as a source of fabric for future garments, relegating them typically for muslining a sleeve here, practicing a pocket there.
But when this pretty but plain cotton knit jumped into my cart at Denver Fabrics, I knew it needed some detailing to make it something besides a plain boring tee. As it turned out, I had more than plenty scraps to make the braided trim in my stash.
To make the trim, I cut 3/4″ wide strips of jersey on the crossgrain (the white is a rayon/spandex, the peach is some kind of blend rib knit). Both fabrics are fairly thin and have a considerable give to them. I folded the edges in under the needle (like making belt loops for jeans) and stitched with a narrow zigzag straight down the middle while pulling the fabric slightly. Pulling the fabric helps the jersey curl towards the middle and strangely helps keep the size of the finished strip consistent. There is a raw edge exposed on the underside of the strip, but 1)it’s jersey, and 2) since it’s trim, it’s going to be stitched down anyhow. Repeat 8 more times and get all Girl Scouty as you braid away. You’ll probably end up with more trim than you need, but you wouldn’t want to be short of it.
I bound the necklines of the front and back separately and then added the trim so that it covered the binding’s seam line. The front had to be stitched in several passes. First, I stitched all three lines of trim from the right shoulder a couple of inches away from CF. Next, I completed half of the loop in trim, making sure that the loop was more or less at CF. I pinned and hand basted that in place before stitching. I took the extra time to hand baste because I think the hand stitches shift less, and are less bulky and awkward while you’re stitching–plus you can stitch right over them. On the last pass of stitching, I finished looping the trim back around and over itself and up the left shoulder.
I reversed the colors on the back because I could.
I’m glad I finally got around to this tee because it’s a good example of how to make what would otherwise be a plain tee into something special with found materials and a little extra time.