It’s been quite the month around here. I have not been able to sew for the past couple of weeks because we’ve had a few rounds of snow that melted the next day right INTO the sewing room. Apparently there’s a leak somewhere that’s causing the window well to fill up.
The first time we got it 98% dried out with towels (oh so many towels) and 4 box fans. I was so excited to get into the room and get working. I had achieved the rare and coveted feat of getting the two younger boys down for nap simultaneously, so I was even more anticipating getting a LONG work day in the room. As I went into the room, I was greeted by the scene of rising water just rising over the window level and directly dumping on the floor. I was done. I spent the next 2 hours not sewing away happily in my newly dry room by bailing out the window well with a coconut milk can (a Sisyphean task if ever their was one).
We’ve dug down quite a bit, but the well is still collecting water, and it got yet another leak last week and was smelling awful. It boils down to that the carpet pad will be replaced, the carpet cleaned and and the well will have to be dug out and a drain installed that runs down to the sump pump. If this sounds like a pricey, annoying, and long drawn out affair, you’d be correct!
My sweet husband shifted things around so that the unaffected 1/2 of the room is still usable. It’s a tight fit, and I’m using tools from a former life like a college sized ironing board, but I managed to get a fast scoopneck tee made. I made it extra long and ruched one of the side seams up to the waist by stretching clear elastic over the seam as I sewed it.
One day a couple of weeks ago I got out of bed and my pajama shirt was sitting askew on me in a similar manner and I decided I liked the effect. It’s exactly the jeans + flip flops vibe I was going for. And it felt good to get something made when I haven’t been able to do anything for weeks. Oh, but my fingers have been itching. And here’s a curtain for the baby’s room that I finished in March and haven’t bothered hanging:
Also, we put in a vegetable garden. The cook in me is determined to make it work despite my black thumb stained record. Yay Square Foot Gardening for helping me believe that it’s possible to put things in the ground and actually see them grow. Proper little radishes coming up, plus lovage and marigolds. There’s bibb lettuce, cilantro, green onions, and nasturtiums doing their work underground too.
May your basement stay dry today!